Villa Fabbricotti, Livorno's biggest park
Villa Fabbricotti is Livorno's largest and most beautiful park. It is a popular afternoon meeting place for families and locals in general. Standing in the centre is the 18th-century mansion house, modified over the centuries and remodelled in the neo-classical style in the 1860s by Vincenzo Micheli for British Merchant Thomas Lloyd to whom the villa was sold in 1868. In 1881 it was purchased by Bernardo Fabbricotti, a businessman who dealt in Carrara marble. In 1936 Fabbricotti sold the villa to the Livorno town council.
There are two main entrances to the park, one in Viale Libertà and one in Piazza Matteotti. There are also two side entrances, from Via Pirandello and Via Albertelli. The park contains a wealth of trees and plants, including pines, holm oaks, lime trees and plane trees, eucalyptus, palms, magnolias, cypresses and cedars.
The busts and statues found around the grounds portray Medici grand dukes and artists and poets of local fame.
There is a children's play area, a children's library, a café and an open air cinema (summer months) also within the park. The villa itself houses one of the most important libraries in Tuscany, the Biblioteca Comunale Labronica F. D. Guerrazzi.