The Church of the Madonna, officially dedicated to saints Maria, Giulia and Francesco, is situated in the street of the same name in the city centre of Livorno. The modern appearance of the church, with its simple marble-clad facade dating from a post-war restoration, is misleading, since its construction was begun in 1607. It is one of the three historic churches in Via della Madonna which belonged to the foreign communities living in Livorno from the 16th-19th century.
Inside the church are four altars belonging to some of these foreign nations - French, Corsican, Portuguese and Dutch - who were settled in Livorno at the time of its construction and who worshipped here. The church is therefore one of the earliest testimonies of Livorno's cosmopolitan history.
A plaque commemorates the famous Flemish sculptor Francois Duquesnoy who died in Livorno in 1643.
Via della Madonna 22/A
Tel. +(39) 0586 889495
Sundays and holidays: 9am - 10.30am - 12pm