Ardenza

Ardenza - the Casini di ArdenzaArdenza - the Casini di ArdenzaThe village of Ardenza grew up gradually in the countryside to the south of Livorno at the beginning of the 19th century. Although the village was sparsely populated, it already had its own church, San Simone, which was built in 1844. 

During the same period the elegant ‘Casini’ were also erected along the seafront, to provide accommodation for visitors coming to enjoy the sea from outside Livorno. The Caprilli race course was built in 1868, and the Naval Academy in 1881, on the site of the former lazaretto named after San Jacopo and San Leopoldo.The area’s three bagni - Bagni Pejani, Bagni Lido and Bagni Fiumegrew up in the mid 1800s.

Most of Livorno’s sports facilities are found in Ardenza, including the Armando Picchi football stadium, an indoor swimming pool, the athletics ground, a basketball stadium, a fencing ground, a rugby pitch and the Caprilli race course.

The area also hosts the weekly Friday market, in Via degli Oleandri, near the stadium. It is also home to the popular Baracchina Rossa and La Vela bars.

The district is divided into two - Ardenza Mare on the seafront, and Ardenza Terra slightly inland (Via del Mare connects the two), the latter with a good selection of local shops and restaurants.

Sightseeing in Ardenza
Restaurants in Ardenza
Ardenza Rowing Team 

To see more images of Ardenza, click here

Getting to Ardenza:

Ardenza Mare: LAM blu and number 5 buses from Livorno city centre

Ardenza Terra: LAM rosso bus from Livorno city centre

Contact us

User login